To submit a blood sample for your dog for any of the below projects, the veterinarian of your choice will collect the blood from your dog which you submit along with the downloadable form available below. Please note that CGAP is not responsible for costs incurred for blood collection and shipping. We require 3-5cc(ml) of whole blood in purple-topped (EDTA) blood tubes. Some veterinarians may collect and ship samples at no charge for research purposes – please check with your veterinarian.
Breeds under study for this project: Bearded Collie, Great Dane, Leonberger, Portuguese Water Dog, Standard Poodle, West Highland White Terrier
Breeds under study for this project: Belgian Tervuren, Belgian Sheepdog, English Mastiff, Giant Schnauzer, Miniature Poodle, Standard Poodle, Toy Poodle
Breeds under study for this project: Bearded Collie
A Note Regarding Submission of Blood Samples
- Although we continue to collect DNA from buccal swab samples, newer research technologies prefer DNA extracted from blood samples. Thus, we are seeking blood samples from affected and unaffected dogs. Affected dogs with veterinary diagnosis can be submitted from dogs of any age. We also need samples from dogs over the age of 7 years (the older, the better) who are free from the disease under study.
- There is no fee for participating in this study although the owner bears the cost of blood collection and shipping of the sample to the laboratory. Some veterinarians may collect and ship samples at no charge for research purposes – please check with your veterinarian.
- In the event that your dog’s DNA from the blood sample is used directly in the development of a commercially available diagnostic test developed by this laboratory, the results of the test for that dog will be provided at no cost upon your written request following the availability of that commercial test.
- If you would prefer to only submit a buccal swab sample, please click here, otherwise download the blood sample submission instructions above.
- Please note UC Davis Campus Holidays and Closures when sending a blood sample.